提要:罗伯特和夫人Cora在庄园外面散步的时候管家卡森走了过来...

Robert:What is it?什么事
Carson:The Dowager Countess is in the drawing room.老夫人在客厅。
R:I'll come now.我这就过去。
Carson:She asked for Lady
Grantham. 她找的是夫人。
Cora:I wonder what I've done wrong this time...Better go.不知道这次我又做错了什么?我先过去了。
R:Tell her about James and Patrick.She won't have heard.告诉她詹姆斯和帕特里克的噩耗,她应该还不知道。
G:Of course I've heard. Why else would I be here?我当然听说了,不然我来这里干嘛?
C:Robert didn't want you to read about it in the newspaper and be upset.罗伯特不想让您因报纸上的消息过度难过。
G:He flatters me.I'm tougher than I look.I'm very sorry about poor Patrick, of course.He was a nice boy. 他可真是抬举我了。我比看起来的还要坚强。当然了,我为可怜的帕特里克感到难过。他是一个很好的人。
flatter /ˈflætə/verb.
① to praise someone in order to please them or get something from them, even though you do not mean it 奉承,讨好,向…献媚
② to make someone look as attractive as they can 使〔某人〕显得漂亮
③ to make something look or seem more important or better than it is 使〔某物〕显得更重要 [更好]
C:We were all so fond of him.我们都很喜欢他。
G:But I never cared for James.He was too like his mother and a nastier woman never drew breath.我一直都不喜欢詹姆斯。他像极了他的母亲,一刻也不让人安生。

draw breath: To find time to have a rest when you are busy.
C:Will you stay for some luncheon?您要留下来用午餐吗?
G:Thank you.好的。谢谢!
C:I'll let Carson know. 我去通知卡森。
G:I've already told him. Shall we sit down?Do you know the new heir?我已经跟他说了,能坐下说话了吗?你认识新的继承人吗?
C:Only that there is one.只是听说过有一个。
G:He's Robert's third cousin, once removed.他是罗伯特的远房堂侄。

cousin once/twice etc removed:
the child, grandchild etc of your cousin, or your parent’s, grandparent’s etc cousin 隔一代/两代等的堂[表]亲戚
G:I have never to my knowledge set eyes on him. 我记得我从没有见过他。
C:Of course, if your late husband hadn't forced me to sign that absurd act of legal theft...当然了,要不是已故的老伯爵逼我签那份荒谬的文件……
G:My dear,I didn't come here to fight. Lord Grantham wanted to protect the estate. It never occurred to him that you wouldn't have a son.亲爱的,我来这里不是来和你争执的。格兰瑟姆老伯爵只是想保护这份家业。他从未料想到你会没有生一个儿子。

Occur to somebody: If an idea or a thought occurs to you it suddenly comes into your mind.
①It occurs to somebody to do something.
②It occurs to somebody that.
C:Well, I didn't. 是的,我是没有。
G:No, you did not.是的,你的确没有。
But when Patrick had married [过去完成时]Mary and your grandson been hailed as master, honour would have been satisfied.但如果帕特里克娶了玛丽,并且你的外孙成了一家之主,家族荣誉也就保住了。Unfortunately,now...不幸的是现在...
C:Now, a complete unknown has the right to pocket my money, along with the rest of the swag.现在一个完全的陌生人有权利处置我的钱,还有这份家业。
swag /swæɡ/ noun
①goods that someone has stolen 赃物;被盗货物
G:The problem is, saving your dowry would break up the estate. It would be the ruin of everything Robert's given his life to.问题是,保住你的嫁妆,庄园就会破产。这会毁掉罗伯特这辈子苦心经营的一切。
C:And he knows this?罗伯特知道吗?
G:Well, if he doesn't, he will.如果他没有,他总会明白的。
C:Then there's no answer.那就没啥办法了呀。
G:Yes, there is, and it's a simple one.The entail must be smashed in its entirety and Mary recognised as heiress of all.不,有办法,而且非常简单。限定继承权必须被打破,彻彻底底地。让玛丽成为继承人。
In its/their entirety:Including every part.
C:There's nothing we can do about the title.可我们没有办法保住爵位。
G:No. She can't have the title, but she can have your money, And the estate.I didn't run Downton for 30 years to see it go lock, stock and barrel to a stranger from God knows where.是的,她没法继承爵位。但是他她可以拥有你的钱,还有庄园。我苦心经营唐顿30年。不能眼看着它,完完全全的,落到一个不知是从哪里来的家伙手上。

Lock,stock and barrel:including every part of something.
C:Are we to be friends,then?那我们将成为朋友啦?
G:We are allies,my dear, which can be a good deal more effective.亲爱的,不如说是同盟,这样会更有效率。
网友评论